Thursday 6 January 2011

Sknitch

Last batch of piccies from 2010 - a trip to the Clothes Show Live in Birmingham to man the Kal Media stall. It was the coldest December I recall, we awoke in our B&B on the second day to a magical frosty countryside and the car thermometer showing a temperature of minus nine, but it looked amazing.
The main show was a real disappointment - loads of screaming girls and cheap, boring clothes, it was a real homage to fast fashion and a homogenised high street, all very depressing for a craftsperson and hand maker. The Sknitch section, dedicated to the hand made side of fashion, was a sight for sore eyes amongst all the mass produced tat. Other exhibitors were Cloth Kits, the UK Handknitting Association, Josy Rose and lots of other inspiring businesses.
I managed to max out the credit card at The Eternal Maker, a shop I had been meaning to visit in Chichester since a friend from West Dean had recommended it, so I was over the moon to see the stall right next door to ours.
I could easily have bought up the entire stand but in the end I settled for as much as my tiny suitcase could carry home.
I indulged in a fabulous Oliver + S pattern, for a friend expecting a baby girl next month - I had wanted to buy one of their fabulous patterns for ages, but had not had a reason to myself, but a gift -why, that feels as good as spending money on myself, if not better!
For myself I bought some fabulous cute baby buttons in the shape of clouds and raindrops and an extra long tape measure - very handy indeed, and comes in a tidy little tin - great news for a messy crafter like me. I also bought a great array of fabrics in some of the prettiest and most quirky, fun designs I have ever seen. Lots were Japanese made, along with some of the buttons available, which added to the quirkiness and originality of the stock. You just cannot buy anything like most of their stock anywhere else in the UK.
I also enjoyed a catch up with Susan Crawford. You can see her eloquent and likeminded thoughts on the Clothes Show at her blog, Just call me Ruby. I was excited to find out that she is bringing out a vintage inspired crochet book - just what the crochet world needs, as there are so very few good quality crochet books around. She has also launched some fabulous kits - if you like vintage knitting, you should search them out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire, Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. Love the Kal media stand. And those buttons and little girl's outfit is so cute.