Saturday 27 March 2010

artreach quilting bee



In the past few weeks, I have mentioned that I have been working with Northwood Artreach, running crafty workshops for the community. The outcome needed to be a group art piece which could be displayed, so with the present popularity of quilts, not least due to the fantastic V&A exhibition, I decided to make a quilt-like wall hanging, with inspiration from Tracey Emin's beautiful textiles artwork. Finally, we have finished our own version of an art quilt, with each individual contributing a beautifully crafted square based on our initial inspiration of Winter Colours.



I had a fantastic time with these lovely folk and am glad I could help bring out their creative side. Some of them may never have done any textiles work before, while others had not touched a knitting or sewing needle in years, but were inspired to begin making for themselves again after the class.
I am very impressed with the diversity of colour, texture and technique used and the individuality of each contribution and the final piece has come together really well. The picture (above) shows the initial arranging phase of the final quilt. I will post a final picture hanging in situ asap. It will be displayed in a community theatre very shortly, which is fabulous for the quilters!

3 comments:

Georgina (remoteknitter) said...

Good Job! Can't wait to see the finished results.
Not least due to a good Lidl offer on a not-bad machine, many of the young mums around me have started sewing and I hope to have a tea and textiles meet to share with them all the errors I have learnt through experience to avoid!

claire montgomerie said...

sounds like great fun! and good to hear lidl are selling some useful cheap items - I hear john lewis does a cute retro number for £50 too - fabulous!

katie said...

Always love your blogs, Claire. Always inspiring and can't wait to see what you've been up to!
Katie
www.lessoeursanglaises.com